Better solution: Quering dbpedia locally or remotelly?

Matters relating to the Virtual Database Engine functionality realm such as:
- Master Data Management (virtualization of Heterogeneous SQL (ODBC/JDBC/ADO.NET/OLE-DB), XML, RDF, and SOA based data sources)
- Product Information Management (building RDF Linked Data Spaces from Product Catalog Data)
- RDFization Middleware for producing RDF Linked Data from non RDF Data Sources
- Enteprise Information & Data Integration (in general)

Better solution: Quering dbpedia locally or remotelly?

Postby martink on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 am

Hello,

From your experience what is better solution: Loading dbpedia in virtuoso and making queries against it locally or making queries against dbpedia via remote endpoint?

I'm making construct queries based on given object and trying to find relations to dbpedia so i can interlink my data with dbpedia. I'm trying this with sparql remote endpoint to dbpedia. It gives me results but it takes time to retrieve them.

Is it better solution (will it be working faster) if i load dbpedia locally in my virtuoso triple store and making queries locally?

I'm using dotnetrdf and virtuoso for the semantic development. Consider that my virtuoso is running on Core 2 Duo 2GHz Processor and 2GB RAM

Thanks
martink

Re: Better solution: Quering dbpedia locally or remotelly?

Postby hwilliams on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 am

Hi

If you intend to make extensive use of DBpedia, then it is best to set up your own instance, either locally or in the cloud (where we offer Amazon EC2 AMIs for Dbpedia).

There are restrictions on the public DBpedia endpoint to protect it from overuse by a single user or service. ACLs limit the amount of data you can download from the same location, and there is a limit of about 2000 records per result set.

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
OpenLink Software
hwilliams

Return to Virtuoso - Virtual Data Management